St. John's

Church of England Primary School

Google Services

Google Translate

Google Translate

Google Search

Google Search


Term 4

St John's A Team vs Southborough 6.2.20 - Match Report written by Man of the Match Alex

'The game against Southborough was a tough match but we kept our heads in the air and
came to a 3-3 draw. We may have drawn to the opposition but we scored the better goals by
far. We were trailing by two goals to nil when Chester swooped in the box and slid the ball in
the bottom left corner. After that goal, we were determined to score another. Suddenly, Billy
was out on the wing and he scored a peach of a goal. It was a superb shot and a lovely
finish. We had scored the equaliser but the game wasn’t over yet. Both teams battled hard,
each team hoping for victory. Then, Southborough scored and we were so annoyed but we
kept trying. Southborough thought they were going to win with such little time left. However,
Aidan ran down the left wing and crossed in a lovely delivery and the ball hit Rufus and
bounced in. We scored! The final whistle blew; we had just scored in the nick of time.'



St John’s A Team vs Claremont A Team 12.3.20 - Match Report written by Rufus B. 


'I have been looking forward to the match ever since it was announced that we were playing Claremont. Claremont’s A team included by cousin Jacob so I was very excited to play against him! 


The weather was rapidly changing for the worst and our hopes that the game would be played were diminishing, but thankfully, the sun came out and the match went forward with a slightly late kick-off due to Claremont's late arrival.


When the match started St John’s immediately put pressure on Claremont's defence, I had a chance within a few seconds, I went past a defender and got rugby tackled. No free kick?! WE NEED VAR!!!!.


The boggy pitch made it difficult for both sides, but despite having had very few games together this season, we were playing well and making chances. When the whistle went for half-time it was still 0-0, but we felt we were definitely the better team. Claremont were resilient to our waves of attack.


It was half-way through the second half when we scored our first goal: Billy with a calm tap in, assisted from a beautiful cross from the right. Given how well we were playing, we felt certain the victory would be ours. 


Maybe we lost concentration as Claremont caught us on the break, with a boy called Rufus from Claremont scoring the equaliser. The wrong Rufus scored!!!


Time was running out. I just kept hoping I would get one more chance. I felt confident and was playing well. The ref had told us we had just one more minute, but Claremont had lots of defenders back, it was looking like the match would finish as a disappointing draw. 


With a few seconds left on the clock, Aiden played a ball through 2 defenders, I took a good touch and was through with just the keeper to beat, the match was in my hands, this was my chance. I took the shot very calmly, striking the ball low to the keepers right. I cannot tell you what relief I felt when I saw the ball nestle into the net. We had won it. 2-1. Nothing less than our performance deserved. At the final whistle Jake and I and all the players congratulated each other. What a match!'